I have not said much on Conscious Parenting in a while…and Woman’s Month is nudging me to share in this space…
Please answer these questions…which questions I also ask myself a lot:
- If I grew up in a household where my mom and dad swapped roles, would I have grown up to be a different person?
- Have my sisters and I been good role models to my daughter and nieces? What does it mean?
- Have my husband and brothers been good role models to my son and nephews? What does that mean?
- Have my brothers and my husband been good role models to my daughter and nieces? What does it mean?
- Have my sisters and I been good role models to my son and nephews? What does that mean?
Are these crazy questions to ask? Are we role models in our different genders or are we role models as people in our families, when we are consciously parenting and co-creating our children’s futures with them?
I hope that I am a good role model as a woman to young women and girls for the following reasons:
- I want young women to see me do this “woman” thing and love it. I man cannot inspire them to be woman better than I can.
- I want them to look at my dress code and get ideas of how they can pack themselves and love it.
- I want them to see how I manage my grey hair and get ideas of how they can manage their hair…see what they like and what they do not like…and make choices.
- I want them to see how I do my doek and be inspired… by possibilities…
- I want them to see me be a working mom and see that it is possible… learn from me and be better at it… because I am their forbearer… I can share lessons learnt along the way in a way that only a woman can share with another woman…
- I want them to see me walk my stilettos and know that it remains a possibility…and they have a choice…
- I want them to see me driving myself and see that it is possible.
- I want them to see me publish a book and know that it is possible.
- I want them to see me lead a company as a CEO who is able and capable…who kicks-ass at what she does and know that it is possible.
- I want them to see me in my natural roles, imposed roles, chosen roles…I want to role-model how to do the best and excel…so that they know that in life you are naturally appointed to some roles like giving birth and nursing a baby; have certain roles imposed like serving others even when it does not make sense or you do not agree and be good at it; and choose certain roles like your career and kick-ass at it….I want the young women and girls to get the realistic picture of BEING WOMAN, and through looking at me, chose to succeed…not resist, not to rebel, not to be victim….to choose and excel…..
I hope that I am a good role model as a person to young people, boys and girls for the following reasons:
- I want young people to love my self-love and chose to love themselves.
- I want young people to see me respect, cherish, honor and acknowledge others, and chose that it is the right thing to do.
- I want young people to see me succeed, build, work hard, create….and succeed, and I want them to want it for themselves because it looks so good when I do it…
- I want young people to see me venture out, win some and celebrate, loose some and stand-up and go at it again without giving up…because they saw me do it and it looks right…
- I want young people to see me dream, have visions, go for them and live with the outcome…because they saw me do it…
- I want young people to rely on themselves and collaborate because as a person, they saw me do it….
- I want young people to see me love life and live life…and chose it because while I was at it, they could not resist it…..
This, in a nutshell in Conscious Parenting, while driving Woman Emancipation Agenda….